Magic Strikes – Ilona Andrews

Book: Magic Strikes (Book 3: Kate Daniels)
Author: Ilona Andrews
Publisher: Ace Fantasy
310 pages
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars



In Magic Strikes, the third installment of the Kate Daniels series, Kate finds herself wrapped up in the fight of her life when she finds her friend Derek nearly dead from a fight that no one can explain. Her investigation leads her to an invitation-only Gladiator style competition, the Midnight Games, where the fighters are deadly and magical. In order to save Derek and the city of Atlanta, Kate must infiltrate the Midnight Games and defeat those responsible for nearly killing Derek.

Each book of the series thus far has featured mythical creatures from different areas of the world. Magic Strikes is no different—Hindu mythology takes the forefront in this book as Kate’s investigation unfolds. I am really liking how the mythology is different in each book. While it is just a taste of what the mythology is, it’s introducing me to so many new things that I can go and read about. I think the books are mainly meant to be a quick, fun read so I can’t complain much about them being short on explanation. It gives just enough explanation that I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.

The mythical creatures are so menacing which is an aspect of this book that I love. Gone is the paranormal/urban fantasy with just romance and questionable female characters. Kate Daniels is awesome! She kicks so much booty in this book and her powers and back story keep developing. It just makes me like her more. The gladiator theme of this book is so appropriate because Kate Daniels reminds me a little bit of a Spartan from the movie 300. She is tough as nails and cares a great deal for her friends. There is more romance in this book, but there’s so much action that the romance doesn’t overwhelm the book. I’m not a huge fan of romance, but Curran and Kate’s interaction continues to leave me wanting more so Ilona Andrews must be writing the romance right!

The humor is also not lost in Magic Strikes. In addition to the action, this book is flat out funny at times. There are times when I caught myself laughing out loud and getting looks from my husband like I was a crazy woman. Kate’s internal commentary often bleeds snark and it often comes out in the dialogue to her own detriment. Her friends are also really likeable people, and I really root for all of them. They all argue like family but work together well as a team.

I’m a little sad that I’m getting toward the end of published books. Ilona Andrews has been contracted to write seven books but as of now, only four are published. I’m going to crack open the fourth book of the series, Magic Bleeds, right after I finish this review and then pine away with all my friends who are Kate Daniels fans until the fifth book is published. If you haven’t read the earlier books in the series, you really should start at the beginning of the series (Book 1 is Magic Bites and Book 2 is Magic Burns) because you’ll miss some of the character development if you read them out of order. They can be read as stand-alone books, but the relationships between characters in the books definitely have a continuity throughout the series that is best read from the beginning.

If you are looking for an ultra fun series that is quick and enjoyable, I highly recommend picking up this series.



*Notice of Disclosure: I received this book for review from Penguin Books.


**I am a Book Depository and IndieBound afilliate so If you purchase any of the books I have featured through the links I posted or from the banners in my left hand sidebar, I get a small commission from them. I am in no way compensated for the reviews I post of my books.



Links of Note
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.