Challenges 2010 Update - Read Your Own Books

It's mid-year and I'm forcing myself to reevaluate my Read Your Own Books Challenge list. Why you ask? Well, my "Own Books" keeps growing and so I keep reading books that aren't on my original RYOB list. I won't call this challenge an epic fail because I still plan on reading part of the list, but I am going to reduce it because I want the freedom to read what I feel like reading (which is also why I keep buying books I shouldn't--let's face it...everyone does this!).

So, here is my updated list (the books in Green are ones I'm keeping on my list for the rest of 2010):


Fantasy

  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower: Book III) - Stephen King
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower: Book IV) - Stephen King
  • Wolves of Calla (The Dark Tower: Book V) - Stephen King
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower: Book VI) - Stephen King
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower: Book VII) - Stephen King
  • Wizard's First Rule - Terry Goodkind
  • Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
  • Dragon Heart - Todd McCaffrey
  • Across the Nightingale Floor - Lian Hearn
  • The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien

Science Fiction

  • Against a Dark Background - Iain M. Banks
  • Freedom's Landing - Anne McCaffrey

General Fiction

  • A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
  • The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios - Yann Martel
  • Dreaming Water - Gail Tsukiyama
  • Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding
  • Ceremony - Leslie Marmon Silko
  • The State Boys Rebellion - Michael D'Antonio
  • All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
  • Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

Classics

  • Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
  • The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

Thrillers

  • Guilty as Sin - Tami Hoag

Non-Fiction

  • Through Harsh Winters: The Life of a Japanese Immigrant - Akemi Kikumura
  • The Professor and the Mad Man - Simon Winchester
  • American on Purpose - Craig Ferguson
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Behrendt

In all, I'm reducing my list by 11 books. I'm a little sad about this, but trimming the fat is never a bad thing and the books will always be there next year!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should definitely try to read Jane Eyre sometime, but you're right, if not this year there will always be next year. I do understand the need to change this list around: it feels so much better to be able to simply pick up any book you feel like reading at the moment.

theliterarylollipop said...

Sometimes, when I over-commit myself to reading projects, I feel bogged down... like I'm in school again. I think it's a good idea to go with the flow.

ps. sorry I couldn't sign up for the Global Bloggers project your coordinating. Unfortunately, international shipping rates in Canada are absolutely insane. $40 to send one little book... which is a little steep for me. I'll try to follow along anyway!

Carin said...

@irisonbooks - It was on my list for this year and then a friend started reading Middlemarch so I decided to try to read-a-long with her...and then we found The Literary Lollipop (see below) who was posting about it on her blog so now we're all talking about it together. That's why Jane Eyre lost out. Hemingway I'm sure is easier to read (or so I assume--I think he's pretty easy).

@theliterarylollipop - No worries! I know that international shipping can be ridiculous! Even sending a letter these days is expensive. I will be reading Book 3 of Middlemarch by next Wednesday so I'll make sure I post on your blog. I like your new setup on your blog too!

Rikki said...

You have some great books on your list. I'm a big fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley. The Mists of Avalon is a great book.
A thousand splendid suns was depressing for me. The same with Remarque. But they are well worth reading.
I don't know how often I have read Jane Eyre. Awesome book!

I know where you're coming from, I have started so many challenges and never went through with them. So many books, so little time.

Carin said...

@rikki - It was so hard to drop Mists of Avalon from my list because I've wanted to read it for a long time. It's just quite long, and I'm getting pressure at home to finish the Dark Tower series. I can't wait to get to Marion Zimmer Bradley. Oh and Jane Eyre...really sad that I dropped that for this year. Maybe I'll get to them. All Quiet on the Western Front I've heard was great from multiple people. I promise I'll get to them all! :)

wallace said...

Ugh, I need to be reading my own books... heaven knows I have a lot of them piled up. Good for you for doing this! :)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I've been trying really hard to read my own books this year and not buy and or get any from the library, but since I've only been successful at reading book club books, I've had to get a few anyway. I don't think I'll ever win at reading my own books! :)

Hope you like Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It's a really interesting book.

Carin said...

@Trish - Even reducing my list I don't think I'll get all these read. I keep getting more books! Ack! You can see my ridiculous TBR list at the top in my menu bar. It just keeps growing. What is wrong with me?!!! Are you still doing The Brothers Karamazov? I haven't cracked it open yet!

Katie Cooks said...

Hi thanks for postting this

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.