OT: HBO's The Pacific

I know that this is a book blog, but I do watch a lot of TV too and sometimes there are just shows that are special enough for me to mention on this blog (see my Olympics post).

I am SO excited about HBO's The Pacific which is premiering on March 14. Some years ago, HBO released Band of Brothers which followed the 101st Airborne from the days of their initial training all the way through to the end of WWII in Europe. It was one of the most powerful shows I've ever seen and is my favorite war film of all time. I can't say enough good things about the series...it was mind blowing. I'm sure that The Pacific is going to be great. I've included a link to The Pacific website and the extended trailer found on the site. Honestly, I think it's worth paying for HBO just so that I can see this. If I didn't have it already, I would order it for the duration of the show! That's how good Band of Brothers was!

Click picture to see HBO's The Pacific Website









I am so glad that Stephen Spielberg, Tom Hanks, and Gary Goetzman decided to do this series. They did such a wonderful job telling the story of our WWII soldiers in Europe that I think they will honor our soldiers that fought in the Pacific Theater just as well. 

The Pacific series is based on a few different books:

Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie
With the Old Breed by Eugene B. Sledge
Red Blood, Black Sand by Chuck Tatum
China Marine by Eugene B. Sledge


Band of Brothers was based on the book written by Stephen Ambrose. Both series also included a lot of research through interviews with the soldiers it was based on. Band of Brothers included an incredible documentary featuring the men that fought in the 101st Airborne. I actually got tears in my eyes while watching it after seeing the sacrifice they made for our country. I did read Band of Brothers after watching the series numerous times and I can say that it was very true to the book. It is a fast read and is very well done. I highly recommend it to anyone that is interested in the time period. The TV series was so good that I hope Spielberg and Hanks will continue bringing our soldiers stories to life on the screen. It's eye opening watching. It doesn't glorify war, but shows the human and inhuman side to it. I loved every moment and thank our servicemen and servicewomen for the sacrifices they make for us. 












2 comments:

Cath said...

I am a huge WWII history buff and I have been looking forward to this for years! YAY!

Carin said...

Me too! I've been waiting 8 years for this to come out! I wasn't even done watching Band of Brothers before I turned and looked at my husband and said, "When are they going to do a Pacific Theater of Operations mini-series?" I'm so excited!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.