- I read a lot of books I consider "grocery store reads" and really enjoyed some of them.
- I liked some of the books people recommended to me that I would not have otherwise read (namely The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and Bitten by Kelley Armstrong).
- I realized that I was a book snob before and opening myself up to new things helped me have great conversations in groups on Shelfari and also helped me find forums that I felt comfortable posting in. I did not have any fun in a forum that discussed a different classic book every month--they were too book snobby for me!
- Joining Shelfari was great! I met a lot of people in the Anne McCaffrey and All of Her Worlds group that I share a lot in common with bookwise!
My Favorite Books of 2009
- Atonement - Ian McEwan
- Hyperion - Dan Simmons
- The Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons
- The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
- A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. LeGuin
- Heaven's Net is Wide - Lian Hearn
- The Zookeeper's Wife - Diane Ackerman
- The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton
- Shattered City: The Halifax Explosion and the Road to Recovery - Janet F. Kitz
- In the Woods - Tana French
I am definitely looking forward to reading in 2010. I plan on continuing to read more things that people recommend, and I'm really excited about the reading challenges I've added. I am definitely a goal oriented person so I hope having the little meter under the challenges will really motivate me.
What are your goals (reading or otherwise) for 2010? What were your favorite books of 2009?