100 Mile Challenge Wrap -Up and New Beginning!


Between January 1 and March 31, Trish ran the 100 Mile Fitness Challenge at her blog with the same name. I decided that I was going to participate because I had ballooned to 152 pounds and was busting out of my clothes! I absolutely hate exercising. I live in Texas where it is ridiculously hot for most of the year, and I'm originally from the mountains in Northern New Mexico so I have just never acclimated. So, that being said, I have not been motivated to exercise since I moved here 12 years ago (in fact, I've been unsuccessfully petitioning to move to a more temperate climate). Well, I've finally given in and decided to embrace the sweaty Texas lifestyle and overall I did pretty well.

I did complete the 100 Mile Challenge and actually surpassed the goal with a total of 123 miles done. The challenge counts all walked and run miles. Biking and exercise videos count differently with 15 minutes of biking or exercising counting for a mile. I did exercise videos and was pretty diligent about walking my dogs. Last month, I started getting tendonitis in my left shoulder which left me unable to lift my arm very much so I stopped doing the videos but continued walking. Though it was "winter" here in Texas, I really enjoyed being outside. There were very few days where I was uncomfortable with the cold (I no longer own a real jacket or have mittens so it did get a little chilly some days for me) and I was super motivated to walk because of it. Even my allergies didn't keep me down! I have been diligently taking my allergy meds and going every two weeks to get my allergy shots, and I think it's really helped! So, when all was said and done on March 31 I felt I had succeeded at least becoming more active. During the three months, I lost 7 lbs. without doing my with my diet (I tried to eat less but still chowed down on cake and cookies and the like).

Because all of this was such a success, I'm signing up for Round 3 of the 100 Mile Fitness Challenge which is being run by Allie (Enriched Mom) and Jill (Softdrink) this time around. It's only April 3 and they have already posted a mini-challenge to get in a day of exercise for the first day of the challenge (which actually shamed me into exercising--I was so going to skip that day). I'm going to give myself a little stretch goal and say I want to do 150 miles this time because I was able to do 123 miles last time. I say it's a stretch goal because summer is coming up and like I said above, I hate the Summer heat. I'm going to do it though for my health and to help keep my dogs healthy and happy as well! Will any of you join me in sweatiness for the challenge?!! I'd love it if some of my followers did and updated me on their progress. I love reading all the progress comments each week on the progress report. They are so motivating and so real! Some people are super achievers and some people are normal (like me...hehe). I like that everyone shares their struggles and triumphs because really, we are all in it together.

If you plan on joining, leave a comment here for me so I can check in with you and see how you are doing on the challenge every once in awhile! Click HERE to join the 100 Mile Fitness Challenge for April 1 - June 30.

6 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Nice job on the 7 pound loss! I was going to do this challenge and then with everything else going on it fell to the wayside!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on both completing the first challenge, and also on braving yet another! I'm sure your dogs will thank you for it, even when you doubt your sanity for pursuing all those miles when it's not the dead of winter.

Carin said...

@Sheila - You should join! It really is motivating and makes you make time in your day to do some activity even if it's only for 15 minutes.

@scrabblequeen - Oh I know. They LOVE their daily walk. It's almost enough to motivate me everyday...they drive me crazy when I don't walk them!

Carin Siegfried said...

I know exercising in the heat is tough - I'm in the South too (though not quite as South as you!) Early morning is the best time for avoiding that. I'm not a morning person, so I exercise as late as I can. If I'm walking alone, I try to go out exactly 45 minutes (3 miles) before sunset. I'm not going to participate officially, but I'm there with you all the way! My marathon is April 24. I really like the Tight on Time video. Good luck!

Carin said...

@Other Carin - OMG! A marathon! You are one awesome lady! I don't think I could ever do that! You'll have to post back to me and let me know how it went! I hope you'll put up some pictures on your blog about it too! That's going to be great! Good luck on that!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I'm really not looking forward to the hot Texas weather either (I live in Dallas). I'll be joining again this time as a participant but I only have 4 measley miles so far. Better kick it into gear!

Glad you've enjoyed the challenge so much Carin! Good luck with those goals. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.