The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

I am a sucker for books about dogs. I didn't know this until I read Marley and Me a few years ago. I laughed and cried while I read that book because I have dogs and I can definitely identify with the idea of "The World's Worst Dog". When I saw the book, The Art of Racing in the Rain, I immediately wanted to read it. I knew it would undoubtedly include the story of a a man and his loyal companion, but I wasn't quite prepared for how much I would like this book.

I have to admit, it was a little hard for me to read. The storyline is not light at all and even focuses on the human side of the story more than the dog side. Denny is Enzo's owner and the two have a special bond. They go through major events in life together--Denny meeting the woman he loves, his marriage, the birth of his daughter, his racing career--and their bond is special. Enzo takes care of Denny in ways that really only a dog can. His loyalty and steadfastness were heartwarming and any dog lover can identify with it. The difficult part of reading it is that it is not a light book like Marley and Me was. There is tragedy in the story and it is pervasive throughout the book. I actually felt a little depressed reading it because the subject matter was so heavy. Early on in the book, Denny's wife becomes ill and sets the course for the family's tough fight throughout the story.

Even with the tragedy, I am so glad I read this. It was heartfelt and inspirational. There was a quote in the book that really touched me as well. It was a discussion between Denny and his friend Don where Denny is doubting whether or not he will succeed in the fight to get his daughter back. It read:
"But what if I don't win?" he asked. "There is no dishonor in losing the race," Don said. "There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose." ~p.277
When I read this I thought about how profound it was. I cannot think of anyone who hasn't faced something in their lives where they wonder if they will lose the struggle and this quote so profoundly answers the question.

I highly recommend this book. You probably won't laugh while you read it. You might even cry, but it's definitely a journey worth taking.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This book made me cry a lot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.