Friday Coffee Chat–Book Burnout








What do you do when you have book burnout?


Last week on Friday Coffee Chat we talked about movies that were better than the books. I was surprised to see so many movies on people’s lists and I definitely have to add some of these movies to my Netflix queue. After you weigh in on this week’s chat, head over Jennifer at Girls Gone Reading’s Friday Coffee Chat. This week she is talking about reading fears so make sure you let her know what you think!


_____________________________________________________________


As readers we all go through book burnout. I occasionally see the blog entries from other bloggers about how they are feeling when they go through a reading slump. Mostly it seems like we all want to know what to do to get us back to reading. The more I’ve thought about it lately, the more I’ve realized that yes, sometimes I go through reading slumps, and I’ve felt guilty about putting down my books and doing other things. Lately I’ve been wondering why I’ve felt guilty. It makes no sense. I have a lot of different interests and I realize now that it’s ok to go through periods where I read less. Does this make me any less of a reader? I don’t think so. I just like other activities besides reading.

So, let’s throw the guilt out of the window. When I hit these slumps there are a few things that are my go tos:

Crocheting
I find crocheting so relaxing. I don’t have to think about what I’m doing and I can just sit and watch a movie while I make cool things like blankets! I am also trying to teach myself to knit. These are worthwhile things to do I think because it works a different part of my brain than reading does.




Movies/Television
OK…this one is a vice in a way. Sometimes I watch WAY too much television and films, but I do think that sometimes I watch really good quality film and television that I don’t feel bad. Other times I admit that I watch utter crap and still enjoy it. I really enjoy watching foreign films and documentaries which to me, open my eyes to the world and lets me see culture and events outside of the United States.





2010-10-29 21.06.47
My Dogs
Oh the baddies! I love them though and sometimes I just would rather take them for a walk than read. They get so much joy out of being outside of the house and it makes me happy to watch their doggie faces of joy.





Friends
Sometimes just like to shoot the breeze with friends. I like having coffee or dinner with friends once in awhile just to get outside of myself and see what is going on with them.








So there it is. Those are some of the things that I really enjoy when I’m not reading or in a reading slump. I refuse to feel guilty about enjoying these things anymore. Life is too short to not enjoy every moment!

  • Do you ever feel guilty about going through times where you don’t read very much?
  • What are some of the things that you enjoy outside of reading?
  • Is there anything you wish you could learn to do outside of your reading time?
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.