Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris

I went on vacation to Nova Scotia last week. Our flight was long....VERY LONG! I knew that I needed something easy and quick to read, so I picked up a copy of Charlaine Harris', Dead Until Dark. I am huge fan of the HBO show True Blood which is based off The Southern Vampire Series.

I knew the book wouldn't be a masterpiece of fiction so my expectations were fairly low. The book was enjoyable, but was complete and utter pop fiction. I enjoyed it for what it was, but overall it was a pretty simply written book that was somewhat uncompelling. I am going to continue reading the series just because I like True Blood so much, but I have to say that I was underwhelmed by this first book.

The story is about a waitress named Sookie Stackhouse who has a special ability to read people's minds. She meets and falls in love with a vampire from the Civil War era in rural Louisiana. Part of the reason she is so taken with Vampire Bill is that she cannot read his mind like she can most people. When women who have been intimate with vampires start turning up dead, people are quick to blame vampires and suspect Vampire Bill of killing them. What ensues is a quick read and an interesting plot twist.

I am not sure that I can recommend these books to people. They are what I call "grocery store novels." They are easy to read and are typically written to appeal to people who don't read a whole lot. While I have to say that I do read some "grocery store novels", I can't say that I often recommend them to people. I'll see how the series goes and I might end up changing my mind and really liking it in the end.


Since I didn't find the book overly compelling, I'm adding a picture from our trip that was taken during one of the most incredible experiences of my life! We went whale watching in The Bay Of Fundy off Brier Island. It is located on the Digby Neck in Nova Scotia. The whales were incredible! They came right up to the boat and a few were playful and showed off their massive dorsal sides! This picture is of the flukes of one of the humpbacks that was playing near our boat. It left me completely breathless to be that near to something that large. If you haven't had the opportunity to go whale watching, I highly recommend it. It is so addicting and is by far one of the most awesome experiences I've ever had.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.