Straken (High Druid of Shanarra: Book 3) - Terry Brooks

Since I had such a large amount of time between the first and second books of the High Druid of Shanarra series, I decided that I'd pick up Straken as quickly as I could and finish out the trilogy. I know some people aren't fond of the way that Terry Brooks took the Shanarra series--the airships and technology that didn't exist in the first books are really prevalent in the last two trilogies he has written--but I rather enjoy it. It takes the series a whole new direction with more depth and exciting adventures.

The last installment of the series wrapped up a few different storylines. Grianne Ohmsford (the Ard Rhys of Paranor) is still stuck in the Forbidding, Pen has been captured by the Druids and taken back to Paranor, the demon changeling that has been released from the Forbidding is trying to wreak havoc in the Four Lands, Pen's parents have also been captured by the Druids, and a war is being fought on the Prekkendoran plains. It is safe to say that I knew this book would be exciting from beginning to end. I stayed up really late last night because I hit the truly exciting part in the book and couldn't put it down. How could I put down the book when a battle was being fought for the future of the Four Lands?!!

There was something a little more dramatic about this book than some of the other ones I've read. Some of the characters I really grew to like, but knew that they were conflicted. I was disappointed but relieved with some of the outcomes to these characters (like Weka Dart and Grianne Ohmsford). Brooks wrote them in a way that I knew what needed to happen, but wasn't sure exactly what would happen to them until the end. I like how noble many of his characters are and find myself wishing more people were like that outside of a work of fiction. I think the world would be a better place!

Overall, I thought the book was a really fun read that I couldn't put down. I was satisfied with the end of series and can't wait to read more of Terry Brooks' works. If you like stories with adventure, danger, magic, and friendship, look no further than Terry Brooks.


Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.