When a book goes horribly wrong for you…but gets you exercising







I would write a review of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, but I just don’t feel like it would do it justice. I started the book in February, but goodness…it just really didn’t resonate with me. I put it down, I picked it up, and then I put it down again. When all else failed, I downloaded the audiobook from the library. I had to do that several times. I decided that I would listen to the book when I went and walked on the treadmill at the gym. I was determined to finish. After four months of giving up and then starting again, I finally finished last night on the treadmill.

I am not one to give up on books. I rarely do it and I hate it when I do. I know, I know. Life is too short to worry about that. If it doesn’t fit with my mood, I should just chuck it. I rarely ever do though! I usually push through no matter how torturous I think the book is. I am actually glad that I finished the book and that I didn’t give up on it, but I feel that way only because it got me on the treadmill and exercising. In fact, I so loathed the thought of giving up after approximately 400-500-ish pages that I actually felt motivated to force myself to go to the gym so I would finish it. I was so satisfied last night when I listened to the last little bit last night and the music queued at the end began playing. Then, the reader of the audiobook thanked me for listening to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I thought, “No sir. Thank you for helping me get through this horrible experience. You made it a little more manageable.”

I can’t really give a good and true opinion of the book since it took me four months to read it, but I can say that it didn’t resonate with me. I have seen several other bloggers on GoodReads that really liked the novel so I think it might just come down to a personal taste issue. However, I am definitely not giving up my gym time. I already have my next book on my Kindle and am ready to download the audiobook from the library to keep me going. So, to Miss Clarke, “Thank you.” No, I did not enjoy your book (though I did enjoy the last volume and thought the book was well-written), but it did make me start pushing myself to become more active which I appreciate.


What do you all do when a book doesn’t resonate with you?


Do you push on, or do you give up and move to something you think you might enjoy more?


Have you gotten any good or bad habits from pushing through a book?





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I
never seem to get there! Many thanks

Here is my site; Toronto carpet floors

John Loyd said...

Kudos to you for persevering. I gave up on Jonathan Strange & Dr. Norrell after about 50-100 pages. I felt bad that I just gave up. After that I stopped taking suggestions from the Book of the month group on Shelfari. Elantris was great, there was a Robin McKinley one that was pretty good, but Good Omens was awful and this one I couldn't finish. I do better picking my own reading.

Mozette said...

Hi there! I've been nominated for the Liebster Award and thought to nominate you as well! Jump onto my blog and you'll see what great things you get to do too.

http://continuousreader.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/ive-been-nominated-for-liebster-award.html

Shaklee said...

i will give up and move to something you think you might enjoy more


ohh bad me :(

Farha said...

4 months? Fuh. I am envy to those who enjoy reading. Huhuhuhu.

cik Jaja said...

i have some experiences like you, very hard to finish certain books. Haha!

MaMa Chantique said...

i love reading book,before marriage i can finish 1 novel 500pages just only 1 nite..hihihi

Alarico Adalbert said...

It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like,HIV,Epilepsy Infertility, Herpes, Hepatitis, Schizophrenia,Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Prostate Cancer,Blood Cancer,Lung Cancer,Brain Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy,Hpv,Weak Erection,Wart Remover. Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 A Little Bookish |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.